Your current total of unspent trait points will be displayed in the upper left corner of the window next to the hexagon icon. In our example image above, you can see this character has all 70 trait points unlocked and ready to spend.
Before you begin spending points, you will want to take some time to familiarize yourself with the 5 trait lines for your profession to get a better idea of how each will improve your character. Please note:
- Each point spent will improve 2 Attributes associated with that trait line
- 5 points spent in a single line will unlock a Minor trait
- 10 points spent in a single line will unlock a Major trait
- If you decide you want to reset your traits you can do so at any time, but there will be a fee associated with doing so outside of structured PvP. In sPvP you can reset your traits directly in the trait window (as shown in our example image above) by clicking on the Refund Traits button. Please note that this can only be done between matches while in the Mists.To refund your traits in PvE or WvW, you can do so in the following ways:
- Purchasing and using a trait manual
- Paying a trainer 71 copper per point refunded*
*Please Note: The amount listed above reflects the cost per point refunded during the beta, and is subject to change in the live game. We will be updating this guide to reflect any changes once exact costs can be confirmed in the live game during the headstart weekend!
Traits are one of the ways you will be able to continue improving your character as you level, and customize your build to suit your combat style. In this guide we’ll explain how the trait system works, the direct impact traits will have on your attributes, and how traits factor into your overall character build.
As part of the natural level progression of your character in PvE and World-versus-World (WvW), you will unlock access to the trait system once you reach level 11. From this point on you will gain 1 additional trait point each time you level, for a total of 70 trait points by the time you reach level 80. If you’re stepping directly into the Mists for structured PvP (sPvP) – regardless of your character level – you will automatically be scaled up to level 80, so all 70 trait points will be available to use.