There are a total of seven skill challenges in Caledon Forest which will grant you a total of seven skill points. Collecting all seven skill points should take between half an hour to a full hour, depending on your waypoint unlocks and your level. Since the zone is level 1-15, there aren’t any truly difficult fights and all of the skill challenges can be completed by a level 14-15 player.
A thief starts out with a base amount of 12 initiative in Guild Wars 2, which is shown on your hotbar as a row of diamonds directly above your weapon skills. This can be expanded to a total of 15 initiative if you pursue the Trickery trait line. Once you start using your initiative, the used initiative will be represented by those diamonds going dark. They will light up again when it regenerates. A thief’s initiative refreshes itself at a rate of roughly 1 per 1.6 seconds. However, there are other skills and traits that can help you replenish your initiative on a faster scale. The quicker you can replenish your initiative, the more quickly you can rain down damaging blows upon your enemy. Below is a breakdown of the skills and traits that impact your initiative.
Starting at level 11, players can begin to spend points on the various trait lines. A thief has a total of five trait lines to pick from. For more information on traits, read our handy guide. Below are the various traits that will impact your initiative.
- Opportunist – Minor trait – 10% increased damage when initiative is over 6
- First Strikes – Minor trait – Critical hits have a 20% chance to restore one initiative (1 second cooldown)
- Signet Use – Major trait – Gain 2 initiative when activating a signet. Reduces signet recharge by 20%
- Infusion of Shadow Major trait – Gain 2 initiative when using a skill that stealths you
- Patience – Major trait – Regain initiative faster while in stealth
- Quick Recovery – Major trait – Gain 2 initiative every 10 seconds
- Quick Pockets – Major trait – Gain 3 initiative on weapon swap while in combat
- Kleptomaniac – Minor trait – Stealing gives you 3 initiative
- Preparedness – Minor trait – Increases maximum initiative by 3
- Lead Attacks – Minor trait – Increases damage by 1% per initiative
- Initial Strike – Major trait – Attacks with the first weapon skill slot have a 7% change to regain 1 initiative
- Hastened Replenishment – Major trait – You receive 4 initiative when using a heal skill
The first step is to head to The Grove, the Sylvari capital city and walk out of the northern exit. You’ll be on the southern end of Caledon and will want to make your way west to the first skill challenge.
Skill challenge locations are marked on your map. To see where they are located, open your map by hitting the [M] key.
Indicates a skill challenge that has not been completed
Indicates a skill challenge that has been completed